Wednesday 1 September 2010

Upcylcled Chair, Decoupage Project

I bought an old school chair from a flea market on a trip to Norway. I was actually looking for a chair to paint folk art style but I also found some vintage Donald Duck and Micky Mouse comics at the same time and it seemed a good idea to make this a decoupage project instead.


The hard work was preparing the chair for decoupage, sanding by hand and filling dents with wood filler. When the surface was clean and smooth I applied 2 coats of gesso.The gesso acts as a primer and surface to glue to.  Then I set about cutting out sections from the comics. I glued the comic pieces to the chair with acrylic gloss medium (it was what I had at home at the time). Then sealed the decoupage with 3 coats of the same medium.

I left the underside undecorated to preserve the chair´s history - I love the pencil scribble mark made by some child.  This was a fun, easy and low cost project.  It´s a great way to add color and life to drab and worn furniture.

2 comments:

  1. I love this! I have always wanted to do the same - but using envelope patterns, but have not come across the right chair yet. I do have an old stoll in my studio and think it might be my first victim as this post has really inspired me to give it a go at long last!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a neat idea! And the amount of work involved, you must have worked very hard on this! Your hard work paid off though :)

    ReplyDelete